Cambridge

Monday, August 13, 2012

Some Updates

Before I write a new post about my current nerd obsession for the past of couple weeks (squeal!!), I figured it would be nice to update the blog world on our family's current happenings...

First, Jake landed a job at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray in their oncology department. Hubby pants has been slaving away for the past month emptying bed pans, checking vitals, being on patient suicide watch, and bringing me back all kinds of juicy gossip and horrifying stories that make me gag...and him, literally. Heavens, I thought the "butt-cheek spreader story" was bad, but he now has a new one that takes the cake. Hint: it involves diarrhea. Nuff' said. Luckily, we're hopeful Jake won't be stuck with this crap job forever...this was just getting his foot in the door at a hospital so come graduation time, he already has an employer lined up. Fingers crossed he one day gets his ER job he dreams about! And P.S...he is scrumptious in scrubs.
(Sneak attack pic last year in his UVU student scrubs. He wouldn't let me take a new one in his black scrubs with his awesome mohawk hair...or at least one without a pouty face.)
In July, Gage finished up his 4th season of baseball. This year was machine pitch, allowing the boys to play all their games on an actual baseball diamond for the first time instead of some grassy park with painted lines. The other new addition this year was being assigned an actual MLB team name instead of the kids making up one (like Gage voting for "Spongebob" the year he had a yellow T-shirt). This year's team was the Twins. The kids are still trying to grasp the concept of outfielding, so a ball being caught or thrown quickly to first is a rarity. This allows for many runs and many batters, which the kids love. Oh, and they don't keep score yet...even though a boy on Gage's team was boosting team confidence by over-excitingly telling everyone "they were winning and had about a hundred runs." Gage did great throughout the season and ended up with 2 home runs!
As for a home update, we have a walking trail by our house that we've been utilizing lately...with bicycles. I've been reunited with my old maroon bike, that I probably last rode when I was in middle school, while Jake has been using a shiny green bike that was meant for mom years ago but was never used. The tags were still on it! We snatched the bikes from the parental's home, and I couldn't wait to go on rides. Well, I was extremely naive to think I was the bike champion I was back in the days and also didn't take into consideration that the size of my rump has obviously changed considerably from that of almost 13 years ago. I was wobbly and all over the place, and I was certain that I ended up with bruises on my rear end from it practically eating the tiny 4-inch wide seat. Oh, and let's add on that my calves were dying...when we made it past the neighbor's house. Haha. Needless to say, it's been a bit of a rocky start and has been more of a serious work out than a leisurely ride like I had imagined. Let's hope I eventually make it back up to par where I can jump off sweet curbs and carry a 7-Eleven Slurpee in one hand. The glory days!

(Sorry, no pic of my rump on a bike for this one. Thank me later.)

For a fun outing a couple weeks ago, we invited my mom to go with us to Deer Valley to watch the Utah Symphony perform Disney songs. How awesome! Park City is one of my favorite spots, and we haven't been able to go there much this summer. That made this outing a bit more fun. We first stopped at El Chubasco (a local PC, must-see Mexi restaurant that is quite the rave...oh, and Gage lost his loose tooth there because I accidentally knocked it out, so he was not happy and cried) for dinner before heading off to the amphitheater. Once there, we spread out our blankets and got to enjoy classics from Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Jungle Book, Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Mary Poppins, and a sweet suite (ha!) from Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't know why Orlando Bloom couldn't make a guest appearance. Sigh. Besides that I was freezing by the end of the performance, it was very enjoyable, and the best part was seeing little girls dressed up as Disney princesses and Tinkerbell and lovey couples wearing Disneyland hoodies and mouse ears. Sure makes me want to go to Disneyland, pronto. M-I-C-K-E-Y  M-O-U-S-EEEE! (Donald Duck)

Here's a heads up on some upcoming adventures: 311 concert next week (I think it'll be my 12th), Gage starting 3rd grade (are you kidding me?!), Jake starting his 2nd year of nursing school (kill me now with bills), a fam trip planned for Lake Powell over Labor Day (praise the Lord for a break), and me going crazy over Halloween stuff and craft projects to do...the wreath I'm working on is fab!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the updates! we need to do a phone chat soon. I dont understand why bike seats are so small. I'm sure my butt is too big. Everytime after I do the cycling class I feel like I've been butt raped. I can't decide what's more sore, my bum or legs.

    ReplyDelete