Cambridge

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Team USA


It's almost here! The London Olympics are almost here! I've wanted to do a special post on the Olympics for a few weeks now but have waited until the games got a bit closer. And now, it will be here in less than 22 hours.

I have always had such a special place in my heart for the Olympics, and the fact that Salt Lake City was honored to have the games here in 2002 was such a memorable experience. Seriously, how awesome is that! The WORLD gathered here. I will always remember seeing the huge banners of athletes draped down the sides of buildings in downtown SLC and also being able to an Olympic torch runner pass right by my high school as our whole school was excused to go watch and cheer them on in the cold. (I'm getting emotional right now as I type!) And who could forget our incredible torch that now resides on my beloved U of U campus. Love it all!

Even though our city got to experience the winter Olympics, my heart's soft spot leans a wee bit more towards the summer games. Swimming! Synchronized diving! Sand volleyball! And of course my favorite, gymnastics! And that fact that the games are in London this year will make it that more fun to watch. I have such a craving to visit Europe, and London is definitely a destination on my bucket list. What a beautiful city. Sigh...one day.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to opening ceremonies tomorrow and the fact that the world will be united during those several days, all watching for the same cause of cheering on their country. I will get emotional...and I LOVE hearing our nation anthem. Cheerio!

GO TEAM USA!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I love the Olympics too....event party?!? I was pretty disappointed with the torch bearer in front of our high school - it was some ancient lady!

    ReplyDelete