Cambridge

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pottermore

My new love that I've been geeking over is none other than J.K. Rowling's new interactive website for Harry Potter crazed fans, Pottermore. It became public in April this year, and I immediately signed up...mostly out of curiosity. Now, let me just add that I'm not the die-hard fan that's read every Harry Potter book and know every character inside and out and can recite spells to you from charms class. No, I've only made it to book two, but the movies were incredible and have hooked me since first coming out in 2001. Fantasy and horror stories have been my favorite since I could first read...it was all about Grimm's Fairytales and Goosebumps. So for me, Harry Potter is the best of both worlds. But this site might change my appearance of being a "healthy" dose of a fan...

Pottermore takes you through each book in the Harry Potter series, chapter by chapter. The full chapters are not posted; rather, it's a way for J.K. Rowling to elaborate on characters or scenes that may appear in that particular chapter, giving the reader an inside scoop into her world and her thoughts behind her writing. For example, why did she choose Privet Drive as the name of choice for the street where Harry lives? What is Dumbledore's background story? Was Professor McGonagall ever married? What does it mean if you have unicorn hair in your wand? How many different names were considered for Hermione's character? These are all questions that Rowling has brilliantly answered and leave me hungry for more useless info! She has such a creative, impressive and (most-notably) a detailed imagination. What a great author. 

Perhaps my most favorite tidbit of Pottermore is that you get to collect things along your journey such as chocolate frog cards, Hogwarts books, ingredients for potions, and a Harry Potter fave--different flavors of Bertie Bott's Beans. These objects are hidden in each chapter's scene, making it fun to look for them. And what Hogwarts adventure would be complete without an actual sorting hat ceremony! Yes, you'll get to be sorted into your own Hogwarts house and will get to earn house points towards the House Cup. I'm proud to say I was sorted into Hufflepuff (though, ok, I admit I was devastated it wasn't Gryffindor...but, Hufflepuff does include Cedric Diggory (aka Edward Cullen, R-Patz) so, hello Puffs!). THIS is where the true fun is because the website suddenly has a purpose. You're not just a member, you actually have a "team" that you're on where you're all working for the same cause of beating out the other Houses. House points can be earned by collecting objects, winning wizards' duel challenges, and brewing potions. Oh...my...heck! Have I convinced you yet to get on the Pottermore train?! (Or broom.) You know you just got excited. Brewing potions? Yes! And it's not that easy, either...I think I've blown up 3 cauldrons. And, of course, every wizard needs a wand to brew potions! Well, fear not my young Muggles...Pottermore will also present you with your very own wand during your stop to Diagon Alley, compliments of to Mr. Ollivander. Magical! Oh, and I got to pick a cat instead of an owl.

So, what have we learned? That Pottermore is Potterific and you shall not judge my geekiness over it because you secretly want to join too, just like 3.6 million people already have. Obviously that means something must be spectacular about it! Oh, and disclaimer...the site currently only goes up to Chapter 4, Book 2 (The Chamber of Secrets,) and word around Hogwarts is that Chapter 5 and whatever else will be available come September. Now ask me if I've been on the edge of my seat with anticipation....
 I am a ferocious badger...word.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you are such a geek! Which means I am right up there with you fellow Hufflepuff!

    -Bloodmidnight aka Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only made it to book 4. I'm actually considering restarting and finishing the series. I've only seen the 1st movie so it would be all new to me.

    ReplyDelete