Cambridge

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Decking Our Halls

It's time to do another December post, so how about I show off my Christmas crafts and give a few updates...

First up, here we have the Jones Family Christmas Tree for 2012. After hassling with real trees over the past few years and all the crap that comes with them (sticky sap, nettles getting in every flipping nook and cranny, watering the dang thing like a pet, spiders in the cussing branches!), I decided it was time to give in and buy an artificial one. No discussion needed. Jake was not the happiest camper and pretty much thinks I'm destroying the Christmas spirit, taking it a step further to make sure to point out every tree lot we drive by now to show me all those trees left out in the cold that don't have a home this year. Yes, his guilt trips work and make me feel bad for the trees that don't get to be loved and decorated! I try to remind myself that I'm actually saving a tree because the more artificial ones that are bought means less of the real ones being cut down...right? Supply and demand, people. Anyway, I love our new 7.5 ft beauty! The branches look real and the set up was easy breezy. Hallelujah! 

Next up, here is my wreath I completed for our front door. Wreaths are so expensive, and I couldn't find anything I completely liked. So, I decided to call upon my Martha crafting powers and create my own. I started off with a simple $15 wreath from Hobby Lobby that was just greenery and pine cones. I then added Christmas ornament balls to match my Christmas tree (the ornaments were extra ones leftovers from my tree), red and pearl berry sprigs with glitter, and brushed on fake snow to the pine cones to make them considerably more visible. I love the end result!


My next project was something for our outside flower box sitting on our front walkway. Remember seeing my post about it in the spring? Well, it's all bare and naked now and needs something in it for winter! For fall it was filled with pumpkins. So, hello Christmas signs! These turned out adorable, I must say. I saw a blog post on them and knew they'd be perfect. Once again, they match my Christmas colors I use on my tree, and I got to use the fake snow stuff again. It...is...the...best. It is comparable to whipped marshmallow. And funny thing about the blue candy candy stripe, it is painter's tape. I had planned to tape it off and color red over it, leaving it white underneath for a true candy cane stake, but once I got the tape on, I liked the color so much that I left it. Brilliant! 

I kept going on the crafting craze and added a reindeer friend for my wooden Santa, and a plain red and white box sign to help fill in the top of our entertainment center that I decorate. Just add in a full hand-painted mini Nativity set for Jake's parents (not pictured), and that wraps up my holiday crafts. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment